Social media is an integral part of our lives. It has become so much more than just a way to keep in touch with friends and family. Social media has also become the go-to place for businesses to promote their products or services, connect with consumers, and gather feedback on their marketing campaigns. With social media being such an important channel for both personal use and business growth, it’s no wonder that many people are looking into how they can improve their social media management skills. In this article we’ll discuss what social content creation is all about as well as its importance for any company hoping to succeed online today!
What is social media management?
Social media management is the process of managing social media platforms for a business or organization. It comprises activities like posting, monitoring and responding to posts on various social media channels (such as Facebook, Twitter etc.).
Social Media Management (SMM) is crucial for businesses in today’s online environment because it helps them reach out to their audience, promote products/services and gather feedback. By hiring an agency, your business will save time and gain access to experts who understand this market.
SMM services include not only posting and responding to posts but also monitoring and engaging with customers online. These services also include creating and promoting social media content, performing competitor analysis and auditing existing profiles.
Social Media Content
Content, as we all know, is king! Content creation for social media platforms ensures that your business stays relevant in the eyes of its potential and existing customer base. Creating good quality content increases brand awareness on a day-to-day basis which will help drive engagement and sales over the long term. Social sharing buttons can be included within this type of content so users can share it across their own networks – resulting in increased exposure for your company/products/services.
Social Media Marketing agencies are professionals at this type of content creation. They understand the social media landscape well and know what type of content is likely to resonate with your audience base.
What are the benefits of social media management?
The benefits of social media management for businesses are numerous – here we’ll discuss the most significant ones:
Sales and revenue growth
One of the biggest benefits of SMM is its ability to impact sales. It’s no secret that content creation, when done correctly, can increase brand awareness and ultimately lead to increased website traffic which will result in more visitors on your site, leading to increased conversion rates (eMarketer) . Social media platforms also give you an opportunity to gain valuable insights about what people like/dislike about your products or services as well as create a dialogue with potential customers so they feel valued. This type of engagement helps build confidence within consumers who may be unsure whether or not they would benefit from using your company – resulting in higher sales.
Improved SEO rankings
Today’s consumers are using social media to research companies before choosing one to do business with – this is especially true of millennials who tend to rely on web content for insight into a company (Hubspot) . Content creation provides you the opportunity, through keyword placement and link building, to improve your site’s search engine optimization which will result in higher ranking within Google searches! This also enhances brand awareness as potential customers will be more familiar with your product/service offerings. According to HubSpot , 80% of BtoB marketers say that blogging has helped them generate more traffic over time while 40% report that it has improved their website’s SEO performance. Furthermore, 20% believe that incorporating multimedia into blog posts helps improve SEO.
Customer loyalty and retention
It’s a fact that consumers today have access to many more brands than they used to, as well as an abundance of information about those companies which can impact their purchasing decisions (Hubspot) . Social media platforms facilitate the creation of relationships between your company and its customers/prospects – this is key for customer satisfaction levels because it gives you a chance to engage with them directly on a regular basis. This will help nurture the relationship so when a problem does arise in future, they are likely come back since they see value from doing business with your company! In addition, according to HubSpot , 75% of BtoB marketers believe that social media marketing has create greater customer loyalty over time while 67% say it has improved their brand’s reputation.
How to create and manage a social media account.
There are many benefits to social media management and it’s not hard for you to get started with managing your own accounts if you don’t already have them set up! Creating a Facebook or Twitter account is simple but maintaining one takes time.
We recommend picking two social media platforms to focus on – one of which should be Facebook since it has the highest number of users (Marketing Charts) . People also tend to spend more time on this platform so you have a greater opportunity there. Twitter is great for increasing brand awareness but if your goal with social media management is increased traffic or higher conversion rates, then go with Facebook! If you are targeting a younger audience, another great platform is Instagram.
Once you’ve picked two platforms to manage, begin by setting up an account and filling out all relevant information. Ensure that everything about your business/company appears professional including profile picture, cover photo, bio etc. If you don’t already have employees who are managing these accounts, ensure that they understand how important it is to portray your company in a positive light at all times – this means no posting anything that could be offensive or inappropriate.
Once you’ve set up your accounts and have an understanding of how to use them, the next step is content creation! Ensure each social media account contains different types of content so you can stand out from competitors on their own platforms – this includes images/videos, quotes/statuses etc. Make sure they contain relevant keywords as well for SEO purposes but keep in mind not too much since it will look spammy (Hubspot) . Also remember that posts with images receive 150% more engagement than posts without which makes them a great way to increase visibility and reach new audiences!
How to create an engaging social media content strategy.
By setting up social media accounts, you’ve already made the first step towards developing your content strategy! However, it takes more than that to really get results – remember to post regularly (at least once per day) and use images/videos on posts whenever possible. This will ensure engagement levels are high which means people notice you when they scroll through their feed. There is no exact science for how often or what type of content should be posted. But, make sure it’s reflective of your business’ identity and aligns with both brand awareness goals as well as conversion rates if applicable.
A great way to create a content strategy is by using a checklist to ensure you cover all bases. This includes:
- Creating engaging content (images/videos)
- Posting regularly throughout the week. Don’t just on weekends or during business hours! Ensure your post get seen by different audiences at various times of the day!
- Titling each post with keywords so it’s easier for people to find if they are using social media search features. Remember that only 20% of users click through past initial results when searching online so make sure you stand out from competitors in their feeds!
Use the platform
Just having social media accounts set up is NOT ENOUGH! Be sure to respond quickly and often as well since responding within an hour will increase engagement levels by 12X while those who receive a response increase their engagement by 20% (Social Media Today) . You can increase visibility and ensures that users feel like they are appreciated.
Don’t forget to measure your social media efforts through analytics software such as Hootsuite or Buffer! These will allow you to track everything from content performance, audience demographics etc. So you can make changes accordingly throughout the year if need be!
Plan your posts on a calendar to stay on track and achieve consistency. At Geeka Digital we recommend creating a backup of social media posts. You will have a library of content to use in case you miss a day or need extra inspiration.
Why you need a plan for your social media posts.
Planning is important because it ensures that you stay consistent and on track with your social media efforts! A content calendar can be as simple or detailed as you’d like. Some businesses prefer to have a long-term plan for their posts while others only schedule out the next month. However, at least half of all marketers who create a documented strategy see an increase in traffic .
Planning also helps ensure quality control since every post must align with business goals/brand identity. This ensures there is no room for error or confusion later on down the road. This includes having clear brand guidelines laid out from day one which should include how often each platform will be updated as well as what type of tone/voice should be used throughout all updates. In addition, this allows teams to work together on social media updates so they are consistent and cohesive throughout all posts.
A often overlooked part of planning, is scheduling posts ahead of time! This is important because social media algorithms work in such a way that posts seen first are most visible to users. By using Hootsuite or Buffer, you can schedule content ahead of time and ensure it’s visible throughout different times/days which increases visibility and ensures your updates aren’t forgotten about after the fact.
Measure what works & tweak your plan as needed:
- Measurement allows for brands to determine if their social media efforts are working so they know whether or not changes need to be made accordingly (eMarketer) . Metrics include things like number of impressions, engagements etc. – these should be tracked at least monthly but quarterly reports may also show trends within certain platforms so don’t forget to take advantage of this data to improve!
- Measurement also helps brands discover what type of content works best on different platforms. For example, one may find that Facebook is better suited for videos while Twitter flourishes with visual posts or info-graphics. By measuring these trends, marketers can adjust their strategy accordingly making sure they are maximizing social media efforts across the board instead of focusing only on a few channels at once.
The importance of consistency in your posts.
Consistency is key to social media management:
- Posts should be consistent with your brand’s identity and tone of voice (eMarketer) . Are you a business that prefers to use humor or serious content? Is it important for posts to align with company milestones such as events, awards etc.? These should all be thought about beforehand so there is no confusion later on down the road.
Consistency also helps keep consumers engaged which increases visibility! This includes using similar hashtags across platforms, keeping graphics/visuals uniformed between platforms and having regular updates throughout the year whether they’re daily, weekly or monthly. In addition, this can help increase engagement over time since users will know exactly when content will come out them more likely to plan ahead accordingly.
By being consistent, your followers will learn when and what type of post to expect which helps increase engagement and consistency in the long-term. This is crucial in building a social media following that is loyal and engaged over time!
- Content should be consistent with users expectations. If they are used to seeing more visual content, this type of post may perform better than a story or text update. Make sure you’re posting what your followers expect to see on social media (eMarketer) .
- Not only does consistency help increase engagement but it also helps maintain brand awareness which can become increasingly difficult for brands who have grown their followings organically. This isn’t necessarily true for every platform however as some thrive when content is “spur of the moment” such as Instagram Stories where updates disappear after 24 hours. In these cases where having a long term strategy may not work well, brands can focus on creating content that’s more timely and relevant to maintain awareness.
The best times to post on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and LinkedIn.
Social media doesn’t have a universal best time for posting, although there are some common statistics that many people like to follow:
- For Facebook, the best days are Tuesday through Thursday during working hours (eMarketer) .
- Twitter is typically more successful when tweets go out around 12pm EST or later. However, there isn’t a “one size fits all” approach so it’s important that these times be tested since they vary depending on what you’re promoting and who your audience is. As mentioned earlier in this post, measuring data will help determine which types of posts work better than others for different platforms!
- Instagram has similar engagement rates across weekdays with slightly higher levels occurring on Thursdays at noon according to Adweek . These findings were based off of an experiment where each day was compared within a seven-day period.
- On LinkedIn, engagement is highest on Monday and Tuesday with the best time to post during working hours (eMarketer) . It’s also important that posts are scheduled in advance for these days since there tends to be less activity than other platforms.
It is a great habit to start posting during popular times but it’s also important to keep in mind that social media is a marathon and not a sprint. This means posting at the “best times” may produce instant results but over time, these posts will decrease in visibility which could completely defeat this purpose!
What are some best practices for managing your time with social media posts?
Some great tips for managing your time when it comes to social media posts:
- Schedule posts in advance to ensure content is being posted during the most optimal times. This includes weekends and holidays since these are also high traffic days for social media, just like weekdays!
- Make sure you have a consistent posting schedule so your followers know when they can expect updates from you. Since there isn’t always time to post throughout the day, this ensures that at least some of your content gets seen on a regular basis which will help increase engagement over time. In addition, it’s helpful if brands decide on what types of posts work best for different platforms by tracking data while testing out their strategies more thoroughly before going live with them (eMarketer) .
- Take advantage of scheduling tools such as Hootsuite and Buffer. These tools help save time and energy by allowing users to schedule posts in advance for certain days or even weeks depending on their needs!
- It’s also important that social media managers keep up with what content is working best so they can make informed decisions when it comes to posting times, types of content, etc. While there isn’t a single rule for every platform, having clear goals in mind will ensure brands are headed towards the right direction from the get go (Buffer) . Having these guidelines helps marketers create content which increases visibility and engagement over time while ensuring that they’re not wasting valuable resources such as time and money!
Tips on how to stay up-to-date on current trends and news in the industry.
It’s important to stay up-to-date on current trends and news in the industry because social media is constantly changing. This means that if you aren’t actively involved, there could be things happening behind your back which can affect how well content performs!
Some great tips for staying up-to-date with changes in social media include:
Follow thought leaders who are passionate about what they do so their insights will inspire others (Buffer) .
Track data from different platforms by using tools such as Hootsuite or Buffer so you know when posts perform best across each platform – this helps marketers save time while ensuring they’re posting at optimal times! For example, Buffer recently released a new feature called Analytics where users can track all kinds of data to help them craft better social media content moving forward.
Take these studies into consideration when creating your own content so you know what works best for different platforms (Buffer) . This also helps marketers save time and money since they won’t have to constantly change up their strategy based on how well posts perform! Instead, the more consistent a schedule is, the more exposure brands will receive which can positively influence sales over time as long as this consistency remains intact.
Tips for creating content that will engage your audience and increase engagement with your posts
In order to create good engaging content for your social media posts, it’s important you have a plan for them! Creating a content calendar ensures that you are staying consistent with the types of content being posted and can be used to set up future post ideas. You’ll want to include images/videos, quotes/statuses etc. Make sure they contain relevant keywords as well for SEO purposes but keep in mind not too much since it will look spammy (Hubspot) . Also remember that posts with images receive 150% more engagement than posts without which makes them a great way to increase visibility and reach new audiences!
Here are some tips on creating content based on platform:
- Facebook: Posting statuses at least once per day has been shown to help improve organic reach by 11%-13%. It’s also important to remember that the more engaging your content is, the better!
- Twitter: As a rule of thumb, aiming for around 120-140 characters per tweet seems to work best. Also be sure not too much time elapses between each post since it can have an adverse effect on reach and engagement levels (Hubspot) .
- Instagram: Only 20% of business use this platform so there are less competitors as compared with other social media platforms – benefit from being one step ahead here! If you don’t already have images relevant to your brand/products etc., take some yourself or hire someone else within your company to do so. Ensure they contain good lighting and aren’t blurry because these tend to receive less likes and make you look unprofessional.
- LinkedIn: This social media platform is great for BtoB marketing as it’s linked to professionals’ resumes so there are more people here who fit the target market of your products/services etc. Be sure not to post too frequently since this can be annoying but also ensure that each status contains a link back to one of your other social media accounts or even your website – keep in mind though that posts with images receive 53% more engagement than those without!
- Pinterest: Create boards which contain content relevant to what your company offers such as DIY tutorials, recipes using ingredients found in some of our products etc. If possible, try pinning these from high authority websites such as Buzzfeed or Food
When is it time for your company to hire someone new for social media management.
Your business should invest in a social media management service when you have a consistent schedule of posts ready to go out but you’re too busy running your own business and cannot afford the time it takes to post on all social media platforms.
Your company can also hire someone for social media management when they want more targeted exposure which will convert into sales/leads over time since some accounts receive up to 52% more followers than others (Hubspot) . This is important because having an active account with good content has been shown to be one of the biggest factors in increasing engagement levels! As such, if you don’t see any results even after following tips mentioned above, maybe it’s worth investing in a dedicated person or team for this task instead? It may require some trial and error at first before finding their niche but should pay off in the long run!
Hiring an agency to take care of your social media can be a great way to increase exposure and allow you time to focus on the other important tasks at hand. Not only this but they should also have a better understanding of what works best with each platform as well as being able to target those who are most likely interested in buying from you rather than just any random person online!
How does a company decide between hiring an in-house person or outsourcing to a third party?
Outsourcing to a social media agency is typically more cost-effective than hiring someone in your company.
When choosing between an internal or external social media manager, it really depends on how much work you need done and who in the company has time for this type of task! If no one can spare any time at all then maybe outsourcing would be most appropriate but if there’s some free capacity within your team, why not try seeing what they could do first? It may require training them up but having an extra brain power working for you will surely help with future tasks too so give it a go before deciding about investing money into services offered by third parties!
If your team can’t handle a in-house person than perhaps outsourcing would be more beneficial to your business?
Outsourcing social media management can save you time, money and resources that would otherwise be wasted on someone who isn’t performing their job properly! This is great for companies that are too busy running their own businesses or have other pressing matters at hand. Not only this but an outsourcing agency will typically offer better results since they’re able to dedicate all of their attention towards one client rather than splitting it between multiple accounts which could result in smaller reach/less engagement etc. – something which might make a company lose interest in using said service eventually!
If you’ve been contemplating whether or not your business should hire a social media management agency, we hope this article has helped clarify some of the questions that may have come up. We also provided tips on what to look for when selecting an agency and how to start implementing good quality content into your marketing strategy. And if all of this is still too much? Let us know! Our team would be happy to provide you with free quote on our services so that we can help take care of managing your company’s social media needs. Contact us today and let’s get started!